Friday, October 17, 2008

Inverse

A while ago my friend informed me of something that you would think I'd be aware of: I have abs. While it was flattering to hear, I really don't have much muscle mass at all at this time. The vast majority of the population is bigger and stronger than I am.

Furthermore, I don't want abs. I used to. I remember sporting a four pack in high school. I remember doing pilates in college and fantasizing about reaching Janet Jackon's level of abdominal superiority.

Now I love being soft. Not fat, but pleasantly padded. I find it more healthy and aesthetic. Nobody wants to cuddle with a skeleton or rest their head on a tummy with no cushioning.

And, I find it more feminine. But wait. Doesn't society put more pressure on women to be thin? Aren't women supposed to be ones bitching about feeling fat, counting calories/pounds, and asking their spouses if certain dresses make them look fat?

And yet, in my head, I feel like it's more masculine to be harder and more angular. And it's the woman's "job" to be huggable and soft.

It's so liberating to be able to see something differently. Same variables, different formula, new results.

No comments: