Thursday, October 23, 2008

Thank You

I was having one of those lovely, long, liberating conversations with a guy that I'm hoping to at least be good friends with. We speak the same language and have similar goals. It's great so far.

So I was talking for a minute, and when I finished he said, It's like you're not a girl; you're a person.

Ha! He articulated how I have felt my whole life. I've always just felt like a person with thoughts who has some girly and boyish traits. But deep down, I just see myself as a person. I don't want to say genderless because, in a way, that implies a lacking of sorts (or maybe that's only in my head).

I'm just a person, and gender can be irrelevant. It was awesome for someone else to see that in me, especially from a male romantic prospect. I feel almost grateful.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I've always had issues with this, too. Even in grade school, when they would separate us by gender. I might've been born 100% female, but I still felt like I was telling a lie when separated from the boys. Gender identity is a weird thing. It's better just to see people as people, =).

ShaneMo said...

Yeah I think many would be better off with a less rigid form of gender socializing.

Thanks for commenting ;)