Sunday, October 5, 2008

One of these things is not like the other

I used to associate girliness with stupidity. I'm not sure when I stopped exactly, but I know it lasted in my early college days. I remember my friends comparing me to Daria and Darlene Connor from Roseanne.

Somewhere along the line, I slowly broke the connection between these two traits. I started to enjoy more sappy endings. I bought some cheap mascara. I was susceptible to male flattery. And my personality still produced a cynical, cerebral concoction that remains an acquired taste.

But few months ago, someone called me ditzy. I almost took it as a compliment. Not because I have aspirations to be a ditz, but because I'm capable of surprising myself.

Now I will admit that the following recent incidences aren't exactly intellectual cornerstones in my life:
  1. Jumping up and down, giggling, and clapping my hands at a party when a bunch of friends showed up
  2. Squealing at a Sex and the City movie commercial
  3. Routinely checking for cute panty bargains online when I'm piss poor

HOWEVER! I will say that it's even more stupid to suppress a part of your personality just because of some inaccurate, negative connotation. Girlish boys should be girly, boyish girls should be boyish. And people in between should be in between.

If you try to get someone to contradict their psyche, then the result can be forced, awkward, and incongruous.

2 comments:

Suzanna said...

Hey!

Check out this Andrea Gibson poem on the subject of gender expression and all that:

http://mid-lifeclarity.blogspot.com/2008/04/andrea-gibsonandrew.html

ShaneMo said...

Hah, you're so informed when it comes to the queer blogosphere.

I want to call Dan Savage in the next few weeks...

Thanks for the link.