Tuesday, June 3, 2008

And I Love My Sex

So I saw the Sex and the City movie on Friday. I enjoyed it. I squealed when it started; I gasped with fear when Mr. Big was about to make anothe fuck-up; I aww'ed at Charlotte's daughter Lily. My friend and I repeatedly gripped each other when the plot started to thicken. I love how the theater was 98% females. And I loved cringing at the fashions that were hideous.

It was basically one big estrogen fest, and it reminded me of how much I can love female-ness. Drama, gossip, overanalyzing romantic interactions, being petty. It can be tiring, but I like it. I get that fix from Desperate Housewives and The L Word too.

At the same time, I felt far removed from some of the hetero norms (e.g. the guy getting down on one knee and paying for a place to live) that I don't really relate to. And I have no idea if the fashion is considered good taste by straight women--isn't most of fashion dictated by gay men anyways?

But I like how Samantha returned to her true identity of being a floater; not every female wants to be committed forever. And I like how Carrie and Big got a simple, legal marriage in the end instead of a frivolous, ostentatious freak show.

I vote that Kelka podcasts about the Sex and the City movie!

No comments: