Saturday, October 13, 2007

Duh?

A few months ago, my friend (Jane) was telling me about a male friend of hers (Jack) who is about our age and is still a virgin. I immediately wondered if he was in the closet or religious. She thought this too, and she assured me that he wasn't; he just insisted he hadn't met anyone whom he connected with. She said, "It [male virgins] happens more often than you'd think." I shrugged, agreed, and forgot about it.

A while later Jane informed me that Jack had a serious girlfriend and that he no longer was a virgin. In my head, I said, "Congratulations," and then I forgot about it.

A while later, Jane told me about a conversation with Jack that went a little something like this:

Jane: So, how's your girlfriend?
Jack: We broke up.
Jane: What?! Why?
Jack: It just wasn't working.
Jane: Well didn't you have fun during that trip you took to Europe together?
Jack: Yes, we did...
Jane: So, what was the problem? Really, you can tell me.
Jack: We just aren't..compatible..
Jane: You seemed so in love with her.
Jack: I was, but..
Jane: Was it a sex thing?
Jack: Sorta...
Jane:...
Jack: I'm gay.
Jane: Buh?

My friend reenacted the look of dumbfounded shock on her face, and it looked a little something like this.

You would think that queer people would have above average gaydar, but that's not always the case.

2 comments:

silent wonder said...

I'm with you on the gaydar thing. I actually have so little gaydar that my Mum has more than I do.

ShaneMo said...

Mine can suck at times. It's improving though. Fortunately, I think it is a skill that can be refined.