Friday, September 7, 2007

Coincidence?

So I ended up coincidentally (sort of) running into my good friend (whom I'll call Jane) on the train. As we chatted, I told her about this lesbian acquaintance who told me about her one night stand. I told Jane how I don't think I'm "gay enough" to have a one night stand with a woman. I've never had a one night stand with a man, and I don't plan to, but I think men are usually easier to objectify sexually. Maybe it's because they generally have less of a problem with that than women do. And maybe because, gasp, I want to have feelings for a girl first.

Anyways, Jane has known me since I was 12. She thinks I'm super repressed because I'd always furtively admit some crush on a girl to her in high school. So she's always trying to get me to keep my mind open to that possibility that my gayness percentage is higher than I think it is; she wants me to reach my "gayest potential." She has good intentions, but I think our views of sexuality ultimately differ, so we end up misunderstanding each other.

So she was like, "Well, you might be that gay." And JUST as I was about to tell her that I disagree, she pointed to some guy several rows ahead of us. He was reading a newspaper, and on it you could see the words from some political cartoon. Large and clear, the words were, "I'M NOT GAY!"

It was uncanny.

No comments: