Friday, August 3, 2007

I'm finally too lazy to think of a title...

"The L Word," Episode 208: Loyal

Shane feels fed up with the drama (that she brought upon herself) between her, Jenny, and Carmen. She goes to confession, and she shares more about herself than she did before:

Shane: Bless me father, for I have sinned. It's been... sixteen years... since my last confession.
Priest: And what brought you here tonight?
Shane: Everyone... wants something from me, and... I don't feel like I have anything left to give.
Priest: What have you been giving up until now?
Shane: Sex. That's mainly what people want. Actually, I... I don't even know at this point. I don't.. I don't..I don't know.
Priest: Do you feel you have to have sex with everyone who wants it?
Shane: In church I didn't. I used to, uh, live in a church shelter, so...
Priest: When was that?
Shane:
I guess I was 10. And I ran away from my foster family because someone told me my real mom was back in Austin. And she used to go to that shelter when she was trying to get clean.
Priest: Your mother was a drug addict?
Shane: Yeah.
Priest: Have you ever considered joining a church group?
Shane: No. No. No, no, I don't like groups. The thing I... I like about confession is... you don't have to see the other person's face. And you don't have to see how..how hurt they are when they realize that you can't be that thing they want you to be.
Priest: You might find that there are people who don't want anything from you. They just want to know you.
Shane: [chuckles sadly] Yeah, I haven't met anyone like that. Anyway, there's nothing to know [walks out].

I thought this scene was well-written and insightful. It was perfect for Shane's character, and we finally got to see what she's really thinking and feeling instead of just being this hot sex machine. I wonder if there are people who just want to get to know other people without wanting anything from them..

No comments: