Wednesday, August 8, 2007

iSuck v. 6.0

I’m going to try to be somewhat honest in this post. Because I’m not so good at it.

I haven’t been treating myself well lately. Mentally speaking. I’ve been getting lost in my own head. It’s affecting how I interact with other people. I’m fine in professional settings. In fact, I’m thriving at my current job. I gave a mini presentation the other day, and I was calm, confident, and knowledgeable in a room where everyone was a lot older and more experienced than I am. And I enjoyed myself.

But when it comes to social settings, I feel like I’ve sorta forgotten how to be myself and how to open up to other people. I’m letting my distorted perceptions of myself take over in a way. Some of it’s gay-related, and some of it isn’t. My best friend is the only one who is aware of this, and she’s always trying to get me to hang out to give me a break from my dense brain. She’s probably the one person who might know me better than I know myself, and I still have to sort of force myself to be honest with her.

And I have some perceptive, brilliant, and emotionally available friends who would be more than willing to let me unload on them; I’ve always been there for them when I can. But I completely forget about the notion of sharing. Yesterday a friend called me on how I share and then don’t share. What the hell is up with that?

I still feel like I’ll be judged or I’ll become a burden. I just want to hide hide hide everything. When I was in high school, I used to have romantic fantasies about being a solitary, spiritual, and intellectual person (uh, I was a late bloomer) like Thoreau. Now, I’m just a solitary overly intellectual person who hibernates according to her own fucked-up seasons.

Blah, this is getting old. I feel like I’m too old and too smart for this self-image bullshit. I’m limiting myself, and it’s getting to a point where I will definitely regret it. And I don’t regret very many things. I’m making a point to change the status quo.

2 comments:

tomatita said...

Dear Shane,

In one occasion someone said to me that it's necessary to trust in the amiability of the strangers, and I hope that although I should be an outsider you could accept my invitation to the reflection.

I believe that partly I share and understand your character, or at least what now you report us.
I also live surrounded with "Whitman or Thoreau, Wilde and Puccini" .. but some time ago I learned that it's not bad to open the heart. The sensitive ones of skin and thought ,need sometimes to unload the world that silences them.

Un abrazo.

Eva

ShaneMo said...

Eva,

Thank you for the kind, sincere words. I really appreciate it. You're right about it being necessary to trust.

Abrazos,
S