Thursday, March 20, 2008

Tsk Tsk

I experienced a crazy coincidence last night.

But first, I have to say that dating boys is fun! And not because I'm a het, but because I'm a half-ass het. I'm straight enough to enjoy guys, but I'm not straight enough to take most of them too seriously. It's a gray area that I'm learning to just accept and enjoy. I've sorta been swimming in them in this past week. The depth of the interactions has varied, and I like that. I'm learning a lot about myself.

Friend: so are you hetero now?
Me: no, i just want to have fun and not get my heart broken
Me: and that means hang out w/ boys
Friend:: so....heterosexuality as a choice, then
Me: you could say that
Friend: well, boys are always good for fun
Friend: as long as they aren't boring
Me: well if they get boring, there are more
Friend: true

HOWEVER, there are exceptions to this; I don't feel like Shane re: all boys. For example, I happened to unintentionally meet a close friend of a guy I used to date. I had never met him before, but I had heard good things about him. And I now understand why.

We ended up talking for over two hours. He's my age, and he's ridiculously intelligent in so many worthwhile ways. We have some things in common, and he's also very cerebral and analytical like me. These are the types of guys that have flown by my defenses in the past. He and I might do something this weekend. It's still up in the air. Who knows what could happen. I feel very open and zen about it all.

I have yet to feel this way about girls. I feel all traditional and chivalrous about them, and I let my high expectations disappoint me. I can't imagine putting out within a week of meeting a girl. I'm like Charlotte from Sex and the City about girls, and I'm like Samantha (not THAT crazy and slutty though) about boys. Should I want to get to a point where I see them in similar ways?

No comments: