Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Diction Is Everything

"The L Word," Episode 207: Loyal


In this season, Helena was the viper: she got with Tina when TiBette might have reconciled, she gave funding to Tina's cause and not Bette's, and she invaded the CAC and Bette's authority. Here, Winnie, Helena's ex, asks Bette to be a character witness against Helena; Winnie and Helena are planting the seeds of a potentially ugly custody battle. Bette is in her pool with the kids.


Winnie: You know, Bette, I - I know you don't know me, but, um, I'm taking a wild stab that maybe we have some interests in common.
Bette: What are you asking me to do?
Winnie: I'd like you to be a character witness... against... you know who. I know she's coming on to your board of directors.
Bette: Yeah, she's everywhere. Can't seem to get away from her.
Winnie: That's how she deals. She colonizes.
Bette: She fuckin' plunders and pillages, that's -
Winnie: Uh. (clears throat)
[Bette looks at Jun Ying in her arms.]
Bette: I'm sorry. I'm sorry. That was bad.

What I found funny here wasn't the fact that Bette swore in front of the kids. I liked the witty word choice. Winnie said Helena colonizes; Bette said she plunders and pillages. It's as if Helena is an army or a commander for Emperor Palpatine in "Star Wars."

I also like how Winnie's last name is Mann; she has this fluffy, feminine first name, and then it's contradicted by a blunt, masculine last name.

No comments: