Friday, April 20, 2007

What matters is that the gay sex looks hot on my TV

I feel like I've been bitching (you know, about heterosexuals and the challenges that bisexuals face) a bit too much. So I'm going to be positive in this post.

You know what's great? Cable television series. Why? Because they have the guts to really show members of the same sex in relationships and, you know, having sex. They also have more freedom to openly discuss gay-related issues. There's obviously "Queer as Folk" and "The L Word." But when I thought about it, there has been a decent amount of LGBT representation in various cable TV series:
  • In "Oz," Christopher Meloni and Lee Tergeson both play bisexual men who get involve in a complicated relationship. We get to see them make out, and it's pretty hot.
  • In "Six Feet Under," Michael C. Hall plays a gay man who takes a while to accept his sexuality and reconcile it with his commitment to Christianity. The solid writing and Hall's performance manage to make his internalized homophobia palatable enough for any somewhat open-minded audience to taste and chew on.
  • In "Dirt," my super hot fantasy girl, Carly Pope, fucks another girl with a strap on. My jaw dropped when I happened to be flipping through the channels to find her kissing another girl. It dropped again when I saw her in action with a strap on. I'm not exactly into toys, but that scene was undeniably sexy. It was all like a (sex) dream come true.
  • "Nip/Tuck" has had three MTF characters thus far. The first season had a storyline about a high school girl who falls in love her friend who just experiments with her. Roma Mafia plays Liz; she's an anaesthesiologist, and she's an older lesbian. Hah, and during the fourth season, her girlfriend was played by Alanis Morisette. And, in the fourth season, Christian Troy (played by the super sexy Julian McMahon) goes through a period where he questions his sexuality.

As for non-cable TV shows, "Will & Grace" can kiss my ass. Yes, it's a funny show. Yes, I love Karen Walker the way Jenny Schecter fans love Jenny. But there was hardly any hardcore kissing between two men, much less a sex scene.

I think "Popular" should be mentioned (not just because it has the lovely Carly Pope and the hilarious bitch that Tammy Lynn Michaels plays) because it touched on the issue of questioning one's sexuality in high school and coming out later in life. It was definitely an after-school special, but it was sincere and decently written. The WB never should have cancelled it.

Lastly, "Law and Order SVU" has had some episodes that deal with gay-related hate crimes and internalized homophobia. I have yet to see a gay love scene, but the storylines are almost always engaging.

1 comment:

AKH said...

Lifetime has also had some shows that dealt with homosexuality. Granted I don't remember any sex scenes, but I do remember one of the characters on The Division being raised by 2 lesbians.