Wednesday, July 4, 2007

TV Potpourri

  • I complain more about being bi than I praise it. But one advantage to it is that I can relate to a wider range of people. I can do girl talk about boys, girl talk about girls, boy talk about girls, etc. It's kind of like being someone who has watched both "Friends" and "Seinfeld." I'm generalizing, but the type of people who like the humor in "Friends" are usually different from the type of people who like the humor in "Seinfeld." I appreciate both (but "Seinfeld" is classic comic genius, and I don't always openly admit to have watched several episodes of "Friends").
  • I never thought I'd say this, but I think, in some ways, season 3 is better than season 4 of "The L Word." They may have fucked up royally with Dana, and they may have broken our hearts, but at least we cared. Some of us cared about Dana, TiBette's problems, Shane's infidelity, Alice's craziness, etc. In season 4, I didn't give a shit about Papi, Catherine and Helena, Kit and Angus, Bette and Jodi, Shane and Paige, etc. I only really cared about Alice, Bette, and Shane's happiness, and that's because they are what's left of what represents "the good old days."
  • So I finished all of "Sex and the City." I plowed through the entire series, and it was great. The way they gave Samantha breast cancer was interesting. I think it was good for her because it got her to slow down with her hedonistic ways, and it made her more vulnerable. The show obviously took a more humorous and realistic spin on it than "The L Word" did. At least Samantha getting breast cancer was more realistic since she's an older woman (although I know that women in their early 30's can get it). The show was able to use breast cancer to spread awareness, get a character to grow, and not kill the season by getting too depressing. What a concept! Hmmmm...HBO should take over "The L Word" and somehow fix it. And the next big gay TV show should follow the rules Riese prescribed for a good gay show.
  • I know it's none of my business, but I have this bad feeling that Katherine Moennig is straight. Why else would she keep her sexuality a secret? Someone who can pull off her look (aka The Sexy Queen of Androgyny) and cause ("It's Okay to Be Gay!") would disappoint her fans. The thought of her having sex with a man is so fucking gross and disturbing, especially since she could have her choice of several hot women from around the world. I hope she's at least bisexual. Or that this whole "stay in the closet" thing is a PR tactic or something.

4 comments:

tomatita said...

Hi Shane,

There are details that I do not know, but I have to say that
" Friends " was a tv explosion in Spain, likewise now it is "House" or "Grey's anatomy" or "Queer as folck", only that although we all saw it, I neither dared in some moments to recognize it .. What can I say,they are too good, too many snob, it is a species of healthy humor ... and sincerely I prefer "Seinfeld".

As for " Sex and the city ", I liked much the way that they had treating openly the sexual topics and the fashion, everybody so beauties and gallants ... but in the end, the theories of sexual liberation and unmarried state turned into a search of the blue prince, and I believe that it lost delight for my taste.

Besos,
Eva

AKH said...

I probably shouldn't admit that I watched Friends, but not Seinfeld. Actually I only watched the first couple of seasons on Friends. = )

I think Katherine Moennig is gay. I think Jennifer Beals outted her in The Advocate last year. She said something about asking her co-workers advice about how a scene would go and she said she would ask Leisha and Kate. I think it is a PR move to keep her sexuality a question.

ShaneMo said...

Eva,

You are right about "Sex and the City." The show was brave for openly questioning conventions, but in the end, the characters did settle down with "the one." But, to be fair, only two of the four girls got married.

Me gusta como tu piensas!

Abrazos,
Shane

ShaneMo said...

AKH,

That's okay. I loved Friends during the first few seasons (although, I was like 13). It's a funny show, but I just don't think it's all that intelligent. That's just my opinion.

I heard about that whole Jennifer Beals outing Kate Moennig thing. I certainly hope so!