Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Bah!

Today I was going to write a post on an article I saw about a study indicating that gay couples are happier than straight couples. But I feel like bitching about The L Word instead. I specifically want to bitch about the way Max is being treated by the main characters. Right now, only Kit and Shane are being nice to him.

Actually, I've been a bit confused about the way they treated him since he's been in L.A. I could understand how things were awkward when he (then Moira) had dinner with everyone in "Lobsters." I understand that the flannel vest he wore was horrifying and that he didn't fit in. I understand why everyone hated him when he was an asshole on testosterone (which I honestly think was another one of Ilene's PSA's: "If you decide to transition, get testosterone through a doctor!").

Are these "lipstick lesbians" so oblivious to and offended by the concept of female masculinity? I'd love to rip apart some of the writing during the dinner in "Lobsters" at a later date.

But I really don't understand why Alice is being a smug bitch to him. He redeemed himself in all of season 4. He demonstrated that he could be a nice guy, and I could see why anyone would be hesitant to be his friend at first.

But Alice agreed to work with him. Was she just using him? How could she, of all people, be bigoted against an FTM? In seasons 1 and 2, she declared that she likes the wang, asked Dana to fuck her with a strap-on, and even posed the, "Why do girls shave their legs?" question. And in 304, when Max wore a suit (and looked damn fine in it), she said, "She looks like a hot guy; I like it." Alice is pretty queer; her current bigotry towards Max is completely out of character.

(Hah, I clearly know my L Word. I acknowledge my lameness).

Are there gay people out there who really do look down on transgendered individuals? I could understand how they would find it odd, confusing, or tedious. But I really don't understand how someone who has probably been judged for their orientation at least once would judge another queer person.

1 comment:

Eve said...

There are indeed such gays. Read Susie Bright's Sexual State of the Union already, damn it.

(Also, wear your gloves :P)