Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Episode 504: "Let's Get This Party Started"

I noticed a bit of a theme regarding maintaining a public image that is safe, conformist, and/or lucrative vs. being honest with yourself and/or pushing the envelope. This applies to Tasha/Alice trying to lie to keep Tasha in the military, Jenny fighting for a less-than-fuckable actor to be in her movie, and Max and Alice fighting over including transgendered issues on Our Chart.
Opening Scene:
It was entertaining. Niki Stevens is only hot when she doesn't talk and just kisses. I do not agree with Tina's assertion that she's "gorgeous."

Self-Defense Class: Gotta love all the passive-aggressiveness. It reminds me of the WB/CW-like drama in college. Girl drama is aggravating, but it can be fun.

Max: Well, Alice just came out with her bitchiness towards him. Again, out of character. He needs to get more friends of his own. And I don't get why BETTE (someone who is sophisticated and advocates challenging norms) was even making fun of him being with Tom. I understand that these characters have to be flawed and occasionally unlikeable, but I think it should at least be realistic.

I love how I have little to say about Max himself; all my commentary is about how he is treated. Okay, we get it: trannies can be discriminated against. Could we please see some probing into his psyche?

Alice: For a moment, I was slightly glad that she was discriminated against right after she verbally chewed Max out. The at whole scene in which she was basically interrogated was scary, but it didn't seem too realistic. At least I hope it wasn't realistic.

It was cute when Tasha's lawyer ended up being a nice guy. And you know the fact that she took that picture of the closeted basketball player with another dude is going to cause trouble. Or not.

Shane: I loved her South Beach diet line.Without sex, Shane acts the way she looks: like a 15-year-old boy. Video games and chocolate? Nuh uh. The couple she finally fucked at the end...didn't do it for me. I liked the music though.

One thing I realized about Shane is that she doesn't expect people to be anything other than what they are (which is how she wants to be treated, as indicated in the episode in which she went to confession). She accepts what people have to offer, and I admire that. That's why she's one of the few people who still likes Jenny, even though I never understood how they were "best friends."

Jenny: Sigh, this week I am actually going to acknowledge her. Mainly because I agree with her opinion of Niki Stevens. I like how she was impervious to Niki's groveling, even if it seemed sincere. Everything about Niki (demeanor, voice, gayness) seems fake to me.

I enjoyed Jenny's flirtation with the sexually-repressed Shane. I don't think those two should hook up, but when Jenny was standing there in a bra, I was reminded by the fact that she's pretty. Her bitchiness blinds me to her beauty. But she needs to stop wearing so much goddamn eyeshadow. I am curious to see how Adele is going to fuck Jenny over; we saw glimpses of her non-Jenny groupie self this episode.

Kit: Maybe her potential fight to keep The Planet alive and find out who robbed her will be interesting storylines.

TiBette: Sigh, they FINALLY kissed. I was glad, but I would have enjoyed it more if I didn't think they both looked like ass. Bette's hair is annoying because you KNOW she can look better. And I wasn't a fan of Tina's dress. It was a good kiss though, and I like how you couldn't hear Bette crying. Her crying reminded me of all the shit she went through in season 3. I really hope they end up being a healthier couple this time around.

The episode was interesting. This season is doing a pretty good job of manipulating me into wanting to know what happens next. I wasn't attracted to very many people though. I hope that changes next week.

2 comments:

CrabsnCancer said...

Why do you think Adele is going to screw Jenny over? ; o I wonder what Adele's role is in this season's episode. It can't just be Jenny's lapdog. Maybe adele will be something that will show Jenny how if she continues to be who she is, bad things will happen? You have great episode synopsis. Keep it up!

ShaneMo said...

Thanks for the comments.

I think Adele wants to have some sort of influence over the film, and she's pretending to worship Jenny to do it.