Thursday, January 10, 2008

"Not that there's anything wrong with that!"

I was watching Curb Your Enthusiasm a few weeks ago. It's like a more in-your-face version Seinfeld. The supporting cast isn't as funny, but Larry David manages to create hilariously offensive storylines. And I like how the actors improvise based on diagrams of the scenes; The L Word would probably be better if the actors could just stay true to their characters and talk instead of reading from Ilene's preachy writing.

Larry David really pays attention to detail; how else could he make millions off of creating two shows that over analyze social decorum? I think someone with his type of mind should create a gay version of Seinfeld/Curb Your Enthusiasm. I can think of a few "culprits" or predicaments that a gay Larry David-type would put under the microscope:
  • A character who is a combination of KC and Shane: she enjoys converting straight girls to dykehood, but she doesn't want to commit to them.
  • A character who claims to be straight but exhibits several gay stereotypes. Much like the person I discussed in this post.
  • A character who pretends to be queer for some sort of social benefit. This could be a stretch, but it reminds me of the Seinfeld where Jerry is upset at Tim Watley (?) for converting to Judaism for the jokes.
  • Women kissing and finding each other attractive is encouraged much more than it is with men. I'm not sure how to make this funny. Again, I'm no Larry David.
  • Do you ever confront someone who is very obviously gay (I'm talking Richard Simmons gay here) but still claims to be straight?
Perhaps more will come to me later.

No comments: