Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Black or White Bullshit Vol 2

I occasionally browse through random discussion forums on the internet, and I'm confused by this seemingly new wave of people who have a bunch of Palin-esque comments regarding gay people:

Being gay is a choice, but I don't judge, and I'm not homophobic. I love people of all orientations.

and/or

I have friends who are gay, but I don't support redefining marriage. But I'm no homophobe.

Buh?

Okay, I am a full proponent of Kinsey's scale. I do think that there are some people who lean towards the middle, and they may be able to pick a side to some degree. I occasionally fall into this category.

But there are some people who are 95-100% gay/straight. Their sexuality is static, and a lifetime in prison (or a lifetime of living with people whom they aren't naturally attracted to) couldn't even turn them.

Why the hell would 10% (or whatever it is) of the world's population CHOOSE to be a sexual minority? What are the benefits?

1. You get to be a victim who gets to bitch about who the world is unfair towards you. I'm sure there are some gay people like this. This also applies to left-handed, disabled, albino, disfigured, dwarf, hideously ugly, generally unlucky, etc people.

2. You get to feel unique and/or get revenge on your family with your forbidden faggotry....Uh, are you 13?

3. That's really all I can think of.

Labeling all homosexuality as a choice is judgemental and homophobic because it is founded in a desire to invalidate and belittle who someone loves. And it's yet another example of black-or-white thinking that only serves to reduce people.

No comments: