Tuesday, December 9, 2008

"You're too fucking...BLONDE!"

I've known a handful of gay girls who have told me that they don't find blondes attractive. I also don't find most of them attractive with a few exceptions (Stephanie March, Leisha Hailey, and I didn't think much of Portia until I watched Arrested Development). Personality or talent earns them this exception.

What's up with that? Is it the "blondes are dumb ditzes" stereotype? What is it about blonde hair that communicates a low IQ and a high degree of sluttiness? Who came up with this stereotype? Why?

I have noticed, however, that I like a little bit of ditziness in a girl. Maybe because it's the opposite of how I am 95% of the time? Or maybe because it's more interesting to find out that she's (hopefully) smarter than she seems underneath her facade. The last girl I liked was like this--but she was also batshit crazy. So that put a damper on things.

This is a theme with everyone I've liked. Surprising contradictions are delicious: sensitivity in usually grouchy guys, curves on tomboy'ish girls, intelligence in girls who act dumb, sexuality in uptight "ascetic" men, nerdiness in athletic gym whores, etc. Yum.

I suppose it's just fun to uncover the different layers to people and to find out that there's always more than meets the eye.

No comments: