Thursday, May 10, 2007

More Peggy Peabody Goodness

"The L Word," Episode 103: Longing

Bette is meeting Peggy Peabody for the first time. She manages to find her at Peggy's hotel, and begins to try to convince her to send the Provocations art exhibit to the CAC. Then Peggy interrupts her:

Peggy: You're the lesbian!
Bette: Excuse me?
Peggy: The lesbian museum director.
Bette: ... I'm sorry...
Peggy: I was a lesbian in 1974.
[Peggy walks across the room to the couch.]
Bette: Just 1974?
Peggy: Just 1974. (sits) That was all I needed.
Bette: Well, you know, that is what we refer to as a...[hesitates] "has-bian."
[SILENCE. Bette smiles awkwardly, then looks scared. After a moment, Peggy chuckles.]
Peggy: (chuckles) A "has-bian." (chuckles, then laughs hard)
[Bette laughs nervously.]
Peggy: That's hilarious! I must tell Joanne that one.

The comedic timing was perfect here. Peggy waited just the right amount of time during that moment of silence; she kept a straight face, and it had me afraid of what her reaction would be too. And it was nice to see Bette a bit afraid. I love the cute, dorkiness of the "hasbian" joke, and the fact that something cute and dorky came out of Bette's mouth during a situation where she had to make a good impression made it all priceless.

1 comment:

AKH said...

I loved that scene. It made me love both Peggy and Bette that much more. I hope we see more of these 2 in the future. They play off one another so well.