Thursday, November 6, 2008

God damn Prop 8

I'm all for trying to see the good in peope, but I've gotten to a point where it doesn't really surprise me when someone is mean, stupid, bigoted, irrational, oppressive, manipulative, etc. It's statistically inevitable to encounter someone like this.

But Prop 8 passing is disappointing. To go out of your way to re-oppress people who just gained a liberty they shouldn't have to fight for...well, that's a downer. It's also embarrassing.

I wonder how many of those who voted for it are really just shamefully queer on the inside.

So now Ellen and Portia and thousands of other gay marriages are annulled?

This goes back to the idea of the Should Nots and their anti-life paradigms. I'm so outside the realm of any organized religion that I forget about how it's mostly about controlling people and keeping them guilty, limited, and/or unhappy because they don't conform to this One idea of how people Should be.

Blah. Rant over. At least the President-elect doesn't seem like a bigot. And, on a lighter note, I had a lot of fun teaching some cute grade-schoolers how to pronounce, "President Barack Obama" yesterday.

No comments: