Friday, February 22, 2008

I'll Flatter You If I Want To

Some of my queer female friends and acquaintences have expressed their fears about coming out to all their straight female friends because they're afraid their friends will then think that they're going to get hit on. Jeez, talk about flattering oneself. Newsflash: the gays can be just as picky as anyone.

I haven't had this problem though. At least as far as I know. I don't have any sort of mixed feelings for any of my straight friends, and I'm pretty sure they know that. I really just don't look at them in that way, and the thought of pursuing anything feels incestuous and wrong.

My friends are all beautiful though. In different ways too. I'm not bragging; I'm just objectively expressing my appreciation.

A few weeks ago, however, I had a momentary lapse in my aforementioned objectivity. I had a realization that came out of nowhere: wow, I have a REALLY hot friend! I immediately felt flustered, ashamed, and worried that things might turn weird.

My embarrassment forced me to block out the dirty mental images that passed through my mind. But then I let myself glance at them and realized they were too weird. My objectivity emerged again, and order was restored within my psyche. Phew!

No comments: