Sunday, February 10, 2008

Zap!

There are some stereotypical manly men who bring out the stereotypical doting straight girl in me: Viggo Mortensen (as Aragorn in Lord of the Rings), Brad Pitt, Christopher Meloni, Clive Owen, etc. I wouldn't necessarily expect these men to convincingly play gay characters. But Christopher Meloni did in Oz, and I recently saw Bent, in which Clive Owen also plays a convincing, sweet, and persecuted gay man.

I also wouldn't expect it to be hot to see these manly straight men go gay, but it was. Then I thought about the gaydar guns and who I'd like to play for which team. Here are some people I'd like to zap to the gay team:
  1. Carly Pope: Of course she'd be at the top of my list. But she's played some gay roles, so who knows!
  2. Natalie Portman: She's already admitted to wanting a girlfriend, so she wouldn't need a full-blown zap.
  3. Stephanie March: There is something about the way she talks on Law and Order SVU that just does it for me.
  4. Katherine Moennig: I still think she could be straight.
  5. Jude Law: Umm...yum!
I agree with Elka about kicking Rosie O'Donnel off the team. I could stand to get rid of Richard Simmon too. I kid. Where the hell would they go?

2 comments:

Suzanna said...

I've had my doubts about Katherine Moennig, but ever since episode 505, I'm pretty sure she isn't straight.

Remember, how when she talks to the girl who plays Shawn, the girl is all like, "I am straight. I have a boyfriend, blah blah blah." Since the actors of Lez Girls are supposed to represent the actors of The L Word when they first started, I think it was a pretty clear message for us, fans. Then again, I might be reading too much into it.

In any case, Katherine Moennig deserves the privacy she has claimed for herself in this area. Yet, how sweet would it be if she came out?

ShaneMo said...

No, I thought that too regarding the meta conversation Shane basically had with herself. I certainly hope she's gay.

But I don't understand why she'd want to keep her orientation private if she was gay. She looks gay, she acts gay, and she promotes gay. I think it's because she'd disappoint her fans if they knew she's straight.

But the thought of her sexing a guy doesn't even register in my head. EW.

Whatever.