Monday, June 25, 2007

"The Boys Wanna Be Her/The Girls Wanna Be Her"

I've finished watching the first five seasons of "Sex and the City." I'm totally hooked, and I can't wait to finish season six to find out how everything ends for the characters. One thing I've noticed is how surprised I am at how much I like Samantha's character (played by Kim Cattrall). She's superficial, hedonistic, and promiscuous. She often wears a fake smile and excessive amounts of make-up.

At the same time, I admire how open-minded, non-judgemental, and confident she is. I like how she challenges sexual decorum for women: she doesn't apologize for wanting to get off or for being a sexual older woman. If she was a man, her behaviors would be more acceptable. But she has the attitude of a womanizing man, and yet she's in a woman's body. She honestly objectifies men the way horny men can objectify women.

And, she cracks my shit up. When she tried a lesbian relationship, I loved how she put a humorous spin on it.

Then I realized that Samantha Jones is the straight version of Shane McCutcheon. Forget Papi. Let's do a comparison of these two sex goddesses:


vs.




  • They both fear the intimacy of relationships.
  • They're both fiercely loyal to their friends.
  • They both have NO problems having sex with pretty much whomever they want.
  • They don't judge their friends' mistakes (e.g. Sam didn't judge Carrie cheating, and Shane didn't judge Bette cheating).
  • They're both usually wise and articulate.
  • They both know fashion and hair (although, in my opinion, Shane's is way better).
  • They're both successful at their jobs.
  • They're both hot and can model.
Shane, however, isn't quite as concerned about her image as Samantha is. She doesn't think of herself as a player, and she doesn't really care about her reputation. Samantha, on the other hand, has more ambition and knows how to navigate through the competitive, appearance-oriented world better than Shane does.

I have respect for both of them, but I obviously like Shane better.

5 comments:

Des said...

just wanted to say hi and i love reading your blog and the way you write and about sex and the city.... i own all six seasons. i love that show! ...I love samantha too, she's so hilarious!
i've never thought about the whole shane/samantha comparison but yeah, you're totally right and i totally prefer shane too, she's just too hot.

ps - i can't stand charlotte and her prudishness

ShaneMo said...

Hi! Are you a Kelkian?

Thanks for the comments!

I think Charlotte is the most physically attractive of them, but her personality completely ruins it. She's pretty much a brainwashed idiot who lets her stupid fantasies rule her life.

ShaneMo said...

And her silly ideals screwed her over when she didn't have sex with Trey before marrying him; if she knew he couldn't get it up and wasn't so keen on having a baby, she could have saved herself a lot of trouble.

AKH said...

Great comparison. However I wonder if some of the differences come from the fact that one takes place on the East Coast and one takes place on the West Coast. I've never spent alot of time on either coast, so I just don't know.

All this talk about Sex & the City makes me want to have a 6 Season marathon myself. Followed up of course by The L Word.

Maybe that's how I'll christen in my new place, with a television show marathon or 2.

ShaneMo said...

AKH,

I think a TV on DVD marathon is a great way to christen a new place!

I'm on season 6 now! I can't wait to find out how it ends! I'm trying to avoid spoilers.