Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Can't We All Just Get Along?

I happened to stumble across this blog community. They're aristocratic. They're subjective. They're catty. And somehow I find this all amusing and fascinating. Maybe it's because they're so honest and in the open about how superficial and bitchy they can be.

I love how they shun the ever so obnoxious bi-curious girls. I like how they usually reject boring-looking girls (I know that this is a subjective judgement). I also like how their group happens to represent a diverse range of looks. And I get that one of their functions is to debunk the stereotype that all queer women are ugly and have no fashion sense.

But they use the word "hate" in their title. Hate? That's a bit much. I don't think that word belongs in a forum like this. It only serves to perpetuate another hierarchy. I think people are already catching too many of the infectious hierarchies, labels, and stereotypes that are floating around.

And the idea of posting pictures of yourself so a bunch of strangers on the internet can tell you whether or not you turn them on is so devolved. Do people really need that kind of approval from others?

It's like reality TV, 7th Heaven, and car crashes: I want to take a peak.

No comments: