Sunday, June 3, 2007

Tuning In

I recently finished watching season one of "Sex and the City" on DVD. I love HBO. I love how their programming is intelligent, witty, and well-written. I wouldn't put "Sex and the City" up there with my favorite shows, but I definitely enjoy the humor and the thought-provoking questions that Carrie Bradshaw poses. It says a lot if I can enjoy a TV show with characters that I don't relate to on most levels. If anything, I'm a bit of both Miranda (haha, the cynical one played by a lesbian, of course) and Carrie.

Anyways, the show totally reminded me of a bunch of heterosexual paradigms (and paradigms about relationships in general) that I almost forgot about. At the end of season 1, Carrie breaks up with Mr. Big because she realizes that he's not as serious about her as she is him. She desperately wants to be "the one" for him. And Charlotte's dream is to get married. She's so desperate to know when, that she goes to a few psychics to find out. It's gross.

I have nothing against people who want to be happily married to that one person for the rest of their lives. It's great if some people can find that. Who knows, I may end up being that person. But I don't think it's entirely realistic, and I don't know if it's for me. I see myself as a serial monogamist. And it's not just because I'm a bisexual with very diverse tastes.

I'm all for working to make a relationship last. But at the same time, people's feelings, goals, desires, and personalities can change drastically. Sometimes relationships just naturally run their couse, and it's best to accept that and move on. It doesn't mean that they lacked meaning just because they didn't last forever.

I'm glad that I'm tuning into what I really want and what fits me.

1 comment:

AKH said...

OH I have all of the seasons of Sex & the City on DVD as well.

I agree with what your saying and I don't think couples should stay together just because they've been together for a long time, but I'm also a hopeless romantic that believes in the right relationship lasting forever ... if I ever get into it. = )