Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Sticks and Stones Part II

This clip from "Oz" amuses me. Christopher Meloni is the sex. And the fact that he portrayed a bisexual makes him even hotter to me.

Is it okay for gay people to say homophobic slurs like "fag"? I'll admit that I have used it in a non-offensive way; it's a habit I picked up from Kelka. So, two semi-famous lesbians (well, one is a bisexual) say it, so that makes it okay?

Is it okay for black people to say "nigger"?

With close friends, you can be a little mean. You can make fun of them. Do minorities have "the rights" on taking a slur about themselves and flipping it into a benign, joking term?

A part of me thinks they think they do, and a part of me thinks that no one should be saying any slurs. I think words are arrangements of sounds and what you mean behind them is what matters the most. And I think it's important to consider who is hearing what you're trying to say.

2 comments:

AKH said...

I agree with you. Although people try to turn a hate-filled word around, I'd rather not hear anyone say it.

Oprah had a good show after the Imus controversy where she discussed the same thing with influential people in the music industry.

They agreed that kids now adays hear it in music and just regurgitate it. The "influencers" need to make a conscious effort to eliminate these words from the culture and it will go a long way in my opinion.

ShaneMo said...

I dunno. It's a tough call for me. I'm against the anti-swearing mentality. I think word-consciousness needs to be taught because if you make a word sound so bad and vicious, that will only increase the appeal it has for rebellious kids.

But kids aren't entirely capable of understanding when it's okay to say a mean word and when it isn't.